MS & I

Thursday, February 2, 2017

let the new treatment begin...

Lemtrada day 1, 8:30am

About two months ago I made an appointment with my MS doctor. Through tear filled eyes, I explained the struggle that I experience on a daily bases just to do small and simple tasks, not to mention raising a 3 year old. During this emotional conversation another doctor entered the room to discuss my options. Although they were reluctant to have this new drug as an option for me. They advised me to talk with my family and make sure I wanted to take the risk with this new medication. As I sobbed heavy tears I thought to myself that this just might be my last ditch effort to obtain a "normal" life.
And so the process began. First things first. My doctor ordered me to go on a two month medication cleanse in order to clear my system of the previous medication. This was scary to think about. I have been on some kind of MS treatment since 2010 and worried just how I was going to pull off this 2 month cleanse. I felt the "withdraws" within a week. Needless to say the past 2 month were the definition of a physical struggle. 
During those two months I had to receive a number of tests so that I could be clear to begin the new treatment. Including a skin check to make sure I didn't have any signs of skin cancer, a pap smear, HPV test, MRI and countess blood tests. I appeared to pass all test with the exception of the MRI. My MS lesions are all over the place, such as my brain. neck/spinal cord, thoracic spine and lower back. in the past 7 years of my diagnoses my MRIs had been coming back as unchanged. This time was different... my thoracic spin showed a worsening of MS (more scar tissue/lesions) Even with the proof of my condition worsening insurance was quick to deny me of any treatment. I was sure to file an appeal and my doctor met with the insurance board to make sure they were aware of the worsening of my condition and that this medication just might be my last hope. A short week later I received yet another denial letter. So now my other was option was to file for financial support through the drug company it self, trying to figure out how I was going to fit this $160,00 bill. Fortunately after two weeks or so I received the good news that $158,500 would be covered by the company. One less hurdle to jump over! (Yeah for Sam)
So longer story short here I sit... in a warm and dark room waiting, hoping and praying for the best. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Go Sam! You are a gorgeous MS Warrior! Praying for success for you in this new adventure. I Love you Samantha! You are brave, fun, adventurous and a great example to the world of fighting this terrible disease. You are a princess and a poster child for MS. With God's help you can do anything! Miracles happen every day. You are one! Love you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing Sam. I know this road is terribly hard-- but I know that you have the faith and the will to carry on. I'm am so thankful you're back with us. We love you and support you and will help you make it through all of this-- no matter what. You are in our prayers. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete