MS & I

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

5th & final treatment...


Today marks my 5th and final day of my new treatment, Lemtrada! So why did I start a new treatment? For the past almost 5 years I was on the infusion treatment Tysabri. Everything about this treatment seemed to be going great until I had Sawyer. 3 months after giving birth I started to notice the all too familiar symptoms of MS. Soon I resumed my infusion treatment one a month. While at first I was hopeful that the medication would possibly kick in 3-6 months after starting treatment again, but one year later I was still suffering from the terrifying MS symptoms. while voicing this concern to my doctor, she informed me of a new drug that was awaiting FDA approval. I waited & waited until the drug was finally approved. Unfortunately my doctors concluded that the this new treatment would include side effects that would greatly outweigh the benefits. As I mentioned in my last post, I found my self practically begging for something new. My understanding doctor was quick to give me two options, start the risky treatment that they preferred not to use or wait again for another treatment to be FDA approved. After contemplating the possible risks, I decided to begin the treatment Lemtrada.
just some of the RISKS- Infections can be severe and common.
  • rash
  • headache
  • thyroid problems
  • fever
  • swelling of your nose and throat
  • nausea
  • urinary tract infection
  • feeling tired
  • trouble sleeping
  • upper respiratory infection
  • herpes viral infection
  • hives
  • itching
  • fungal infection
  • joint pain
  • pain in your arms or legs
  • back pain
  • diarrhea sinus infection
  • mouth pain or sore throat
  • tingling sensation
  • dizziness
  • stomach pain
  • sudden redness in face, neck, or chest
  • vomiting
















    BENIFITS
    Proven to cut relapses in half over 2 years 
    Proven to help most people live relapse-free at 2 years
    THE BOTTOM LINE... I just might have a "normal" life!
    ok... so I know that the risk involved doesn't seem worth it, but there defiantly comes a time in life that after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis for 7 years and you have a daughter that wants to play with you, but you just can't find the strength or energy to get off the couch. Risks like these aren't scary. What does scare me is living in a wheelchair, unable to care for my child, the inability to have more children & the most terrifying of all, my inability to be self reliant and to do things on my own.







1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I hope that it does what it is supposed to do!! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡ & no side effects!! Love

    ReplyDelete