MS & I

Friday, September 14, 2012

Yeah for me... again!

So life has been crazy and I barley have time for anything it seems like. Thus why a post has not been made forever!
But once again there is great news from the doctor that I received a few weeks ago and then not so great news that I received just today. Good news first. Once again my MRI came back great, no new lesions and it looks like nothing has changed in a year! AMAZING! I am really thankful for the medication that I am on and that it seems to be working great. As I have mentioned before there is one draw back to this medication. One of the risks of TYSABRI is progressive multifocal
leukoencephalopathy (PML), a serious brain infection. PML is a "progressive" brain infection, because the damage it causes becomes more severe over time.
  • "Multifocal" means multiple locations within the brain.
  • "Leuko" means white.
  • "Encephalo" means brain.
  • "Pathy" means disease.
  • Simply put, PML is a serious infection of the brain's white matter that usually causes death or severe disability.
    Here whats hard about PML. The symptoms are the same as an MS relapse. So you have to be really careful. So here is the bad news (but still good) I have been having really strange symptoms the past week and I kinda freaked out last night when I was not able sleep due to both of my legs "jumping" all night and not letting me sleep. I thought it would be best to be a bit more cautious and call the doctor. I went in today, and they are wanting to treat me for a relapse. So looks like my weekend will be filled with infusion treatments and then next month I will go back to the doctor to make sure the treatments worked and that there is no chance of PML. But other than this relapse this has been the best I have felt since being diagnosed, so I am very thankful for that and can only and and pray for the best.

    2 comments:

    1. I'm proud of you Sam. You are beautiful , amazing, and inspiring.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you for the update. You are such a brave woman! We love you and you're in our prayers too.
      Love, Crystalee and Ryan

      ReplyDelete