MS & I

Thursday, March 18, 2010


My grandpa had multiple sclerosis. When he was diagnosed at 28 there was not much hope, He finished the last 5 years of his life in the V.A. hospital. When I began to have these unknown symptoms I was taking a human anatomy course, low and behold we studied MS. We focused on the disease for only a few minutes, after class I felt like a hypochondriac. I went home typed in MS symptoms and there it was I had the majority of the symptoms. My family (who knew of my struggles already) wanted to deny the fact that this could be a possibility. The only person in my life that thought I truly did have MS was my father. I saw the fear in his face immediately. As the weeks went on my dad was constantly asking about my symptoms. Every time I had the hiccups he would fret that I just may be another repeat of his father (who had hiccups for quite a few years due to MS). I must say my dad is my hero; I am a daddy’s girl. I look up to him more than I can explain. He presents such strength and grace in every way, he makes me proud to be a Snarr. And he was the one to finally have me see a neurologist. A week before being admitted into the hospital I came down with a minor cold. This completely shut down my body and I could barley walk. I would call my dad and just sob because I knew I needed to see a doctor as soon as possible, but my neurologist appointment was not for another week (neurologist can take months to get into, I made my apt early February and got a mid March appointment) my father made a few phone calls and worked his Mayor magic (which he hates to do) and got me an appointment for 3 days later. February 22 I met with Dr. Chocair at IMC after talking to me and running a few small tests I was admitted into the hospital. I remember crying with a smile on my face because I was so happy to be taken care of; that I was finally going to know what was wrong with me. That night I had an hour and a half MRI and the next afternoon the results were in. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I remember having the biggest grin on my face when he told me. I don’t know why, I was just happy to know and knew that I was in the right hands. My next hurdle was telling my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment