MS & I

Thursday, June 24, 2010

...

Getting my treatments day one
(they hurt!)



Last week I received my 3 solumedrol treatments. Although they did not work as fast or as well as the last time I had them when I was admitted into the hospital in February my doctor has assured me that it could take up to 2 weeks to get the full results. The annoying numbness in my face has begun to fade and I look forward to it just going away! So I realize that my last post was beyond depressing and a little too honest, but this is the reason that I am blogging. I want people to know and understand that this disease although not fatal can be debilitating both physically and emotionally. If 2.5 million people in the world have MS why is it we don’t hear more about it? I hope to be a small voice in the crowd of millions to put in plain words just what it is we go through on a daily basis. Because of this relapse I realized that I needed to enter some type of physical rehab as I had done in the hospital. Monday I enrolled in the U of U MS rehab clinic. It was so hard to swallow when I was informed I was the youngest in the group of sixty participants. It does scare me at times when I realize that this just isn’t going away and that I will have to live with this the rest of my life. I look at the other members in their fifties and sixties and think they have it so much easier because they were able to live a normal life, raise a family, and have a career. But I must step back see that no other 21 year old has this outlook on life and that I have an opportunity in my life to make something of it.

"You gain strength, courage & confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...You must do the thing you cannot do."- Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment